Friday, February 02, 2007

The whether

I think I'm becoming narotic. This is why.

The Guy and I were talking the other day as I was leaving overpriced-times square-located-super media-store(dont know if I did the hyphens right). We were on the phone. He was telling me about how he was going to be stuck at the office all night working on a new account because he's having trouble "cracking it". I honestly dont really know what that means, but I was sympathetic.

In passing I made a comment about the dreaded valentines day. Now I'm not one for mushy bullshit holidays, and I never have been. But then again I've never found myself in the fog a potential relationship around the dreaded day. I think the most James ever did was buy me a cup of coffee and allow me to bum a few smokes off of him.

Now I feel like I may want to actually do something special. And by special I just mean order in and watch a movie. I dont want over the top, I actually kind of hate over the top. But I just like being with him.

Back to the point. I mentioned it and he kind of freaked out. "Umm," he said, "We, uh, we'll have to discuss it I guess."
I quickly tried to glaze it over. Telling him it wasnt a big deal I was wondering if he had thought about it, but I think the damage may have been done.

Now I have 2 big concerns in the whole scheme of things:

1.) our age differences will start to become a problem. While I'm not stupid by any means, and I dont think I'm that naive (how the hell do you make those damn dots!?) there is a certain amount of knowledge that he has that I have yet to aquire. This could at anytime become an issue.
2.) The extremely large difference in our incomes. I work in retail, and I'm in college. I basically dont make any money. He works in advertising, and is damn good at his job, and obviously makes more than me. Either he and I will find a way to bridge the gap, or it will become the elephant in the room.

3 comments:

Jon-Marc McDonald said...

As I have commented before, the age thing should not be a problem except that he may think since you are so young you might stray. He will get over that soon enough.

Income should not matter either. I have two friends who have been a couple for 8 years and one makes over a million and the other works for nothing in retail.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

You're smart. You'll figure all of this out for yourself!

Mike said...

Just copy the i with umlaut from somewhere else.