Friday, December 22, 2006

The Midwest

In New York I am a boy from the midwest. You all know that, its on the subtitle for the blog. But in the midwest I am a man from the city.

In the midwest my life is exciting to people, my job is exciting, and my relationships are exciting. In New York I'm po-dunk(Spelling?), I work in retail, and I'm single.

Its tough getting used to this drastic juxtaposition(*disclaimer: Juxtaposed is my favorite word.) Its weird thinking that here(currently in MI) I'm somebody and my life is on track. and There I'm just a kid with a shit apartment who makes $8 and hour.

I make more money than anyone I graduated with but because I live in New York I have less to show for it. But I have no regrets. I'm glad that I left Michigan, because I'm not a someone in NYC yet, but I'm well on my way to being something, what ever that is.

I'm not saying that I'm better than peope here. I would never think that I'm better than people here. I'm not, I'm really not. But my life is so different. In New York my friends are museum directors and foremost professors and the guys whose writing the fucking oscars and here is still kids in college getting drunk all the time and learning about how to live in the world.

I wanted the culture shock. I got the culture shock. I've accepted and changed because of it. I'm different now. I was different the day I stepped foot in New York knowing that I wasnt leaving until Thanksgiving.

When I come home I spend the whole time re-adjusting to life in the midwest. And missing the sirens, and the buildings. The fast paced moving. There is no time in Manhattan to be still, everyday is a new day, you cant slow down because there's always someone behind you.

But it would be wrong to say that I didnt like comeing back. I like seeing people I knew so long ago(it seems). The look of suprise when I walk through the door. But I feel like people expect me to tell them something profound, or something exciting; to give a Nora Ephron-esque explanation of what New York is to me. I dont know if I can do that. When I do, I name drop, or talk about album signings, or running into Kevin Spacey, and Sarah Jessica Parker on the street, I feel like a superficial ass.

Its going to take a few days to get into the swing of things. I dont know if it will be an easy 2 weeks. At the moment it feels like 20 years. But it has to get better, right?

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

When I go home to Maryland, I feel like an alien from outer space. My life is so different from everyone's frame of reference that I've found they just can't understand it...

And yes, they tend to latch onto the superficial things...

I can't wait to get back to the City everytime I leave it.

Have a great Holiday, Jesse.

And be well...

Anonymous said...

jesse, dont lie to yourself, you know you are better then like...97.53% of the people here.