Monday, May 21, 2007

Friends grow in Brooklyn

Yesterday is officially on my list of favorite days ever. I woke up at around 9:30, after what was a much needed 10 hours of sleep. I made coffee went to the bathroom and got back into bed. 2 text messages came about 30 mins apart. One from my friend Kim, the other my friend Kathrine, both apologizing and bowing out of brunch in the East Village. I went out and bought a Sunday Times in my shorts and flip flops, the $ 3.50 clenched in my hand. My dreadlocks haphhazord on my head. I didnt care, I was happy.

I returned to my most humble abode, and finished The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. I've been studying for finals so I havent had much time to read or write. It was by every defenition amazing.

I got a call from Sanderson (one of the Michaels) inviting me to the street fair in Park Slope, "there'll be beer" he inticed. "I'm on my way." I said pulling on my pants.
I got there and gave him a call. I told him where I was and he said he would meet me there. I found myself in front of a tent overflowing with old LPs and second hand cds. I almost shit myself. The most expensive of them; the Hendrix, and The beatles was maybe $25. I dont actually have an LP player here in New York, but thats why its an impulse by.

I getting worked up in order to start heckling with the man over a Joe Tex LP that I had to have when I felt an affectionate squeeze on my ass. I turned, Sanderson was there, "Hey stud, what's going on?" I hugged, we talked a little bit. I argued and lost my Joe Tex heckle and so we decided to find the other Michaels and Angela. We met them on the corner of Garfield street and 5th ave.

MP is a Michael and Mitchell is a Michael, Angela isnt a Michael but she should be. We chatted had our hello kisses and walked a bit. We decided on brunch and Mitchell picked Bogota, a South American restaurant in Park Slope. We sat down and oggled the hispanic waiters. Sanderson's knee resting gently against mine. The adults got rounds of bloody mary's, I got coffee. They were all hung over from Angela's birthday party last night. I was invited but couldnt attend, it was at a bar in the city and there was no way I could have gotten it.

This came up in conversation again as the issue of pride came into being. "What do you mean you don't have a fake I.D.?" Mitchell chided, " What kind of teenager are you?"
"I've never needed one." I confessed, "I havent been carded since I was 16."
"How long ago was that again?" Angela asked.
"Not that long ago," Sanderson joked.
Mitchell looked at Sanderson and half jokingly said "Dude, you're so lucky."

Sanderson and I are kind of seeing each other. I've explained the whole story about my relationship with the man, and his leaving. I asked to take things slow, he respected that.

So the Michaels were thinking of way to sneak me into the pier dance. I confessed my lack of rythmn and they wouldnt have it.
"you have to go," Sanderson said "you're part of the group now."
"Ohh I love you guys!" I said.

The conversation quickly changed to more recent things.
"We should do a brunch one day." Mitchell suggested. "I think a brunch would be really fun."
"That's a great idea," Angela said.
"Central park?" MP offered up.
"Prospect park?" I offered, "I mean you all live like 4 blocks away. I'll bring a frisbee, we'll get a big coffee thurmos, and some scones or something."
Mitchell set down his bloody mary, "Wow," he said, "You really are gay."

A chuckel was had by all. Then I threw an ice cube at him.

I had the best french toast in my life. And I'm very serious about french toast. We sat and chatted through 3 rounds of coffee. Then we headed back out into the day. There was band playing that no one got the name of. They were great. A jam band, but, you know...good.
"Hey why isnt anyone hippie dancing?" Angela asked.
"This is Park slope sweetie," MP said, "Lesbians dont hippie dance."

It was around 5:30 by then, we all decided to split up and take naps. "What are you guys gunna do?" Angela asked.
"Take a nap," Sanderson said. "I dont know if Jesse's coming with me. Hey Jesse wanna take-"
"Yes," I said.

We split up at about 9 I left Sanderson's and called MP.
"Hey sweetie," he said. "What's up?"
"FOOD!!!"
"Come over, We'll figure something out."

We decided on fish and chips. Mostly because I wanted beer. At the restaurant we had Monty Python's Holy Ale. I love the British. And the best cod of my life.

As I walked to the train station I reflected on my day, my friends, my life. When I got home I called Lady B and we talked till 2 a.m. It was a perfect end to a perfect day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as ridiculous as it sounds, I like how you refer to her as Lady B. It makes her feel like she's living in a storybook. It's a nice feeling.
I'm eating carrots and thinking of you.