Sunday, September 17, 2006

The stress thing

So last week was the most stressful week I've had in a long time. There was the working full time, the school full time, the sleeping when I had time and the pile of other things I felt I needed to take care of.

The work and school thing was a sort of catalyst to the stress. Near the end of highschool I was working 30 hours and dealing with social dilemas with ease( I was alergic to homework). But I felt almost like I had a deadline. My parents are coming on Tuesday, and dont feel like I have anything to show them. I feel like I should be able to show them that I've done something by now, that they didnt waste all of the money and energy moving me out here. I dont think I have that yet.

Now before I start sounding too self-depricating, I know I have a kickass job, I'm in school, I can pay my rent, and I'm still the only 18 year old I know that buys the Sunday Times and sets aside 30 minutes to read the book review front to back. I've made it this far. I just think that they worry that I'm not making any new friends, and I worry that I lean to heavily on the ones that I have here, mostly Michael. But I've never had a friend that I can check out guys with as openly, and he gets all my vague pop-culture references.

It just seemed that everything was going wrong, and there was no way to fix any of it.

But I fell in love with New York again. I love that this happens. I felt comfortable, felt like I was beginning to get the swing of it, that I had intergrated. Then the city sort of threw a bunch of shit at me, and I had to take care of it all. Apparently I passed.
...............................................................................................................................


No new books.

This is a big deal. I have since I was 12 years old, bought at least one book every Sunday. I have no room for them, I have so many. If I get so stressed that I cant sleep again I promise I will give you all a really tedious and unnecessary list of them.

Scout's honor.

...............................................................................................................................

Prof. Schwartz

My Ethics prof. must be the most monotoned, uninteresting professor alive, and he's completely ambivolent about philosophy. But he's really hot.

He's bald, and clean shaven, and has a stereotypical Jewish nose. But it works in his favor. He wears Khakis everyday and by the end of class the pockets have rings of chalk marks on them. He doesnt get nervous, he doesnt stammer. I'm pretty sure he's alergic to clicking his tongue, too.

He wears terrible shirts, the sleeves look to big for his arms. But you can tell that he works out. When he writes on the chalkboard he bends in a way that makes his very cute butt stick out. The tall blond girl, that asks stupid questions and sits next to me always smiles when he does this. So does the guy two seats down from me. :)

He has a platinum ring on the middle finger of his left hand. I dont know, maybe there are smart straight men after all. Or maybe he's got an amazing husband. He almost certainly lives in Park Slope, and was almost certainly raised in Brooklyn, though he doesnt have a Brooklyn accent. He does sound like he can give a mean Jewish Mother Guilt Trip though.

I wouldnt mind if he tought me a lesson. ;P

1 comment:

Jon-Marc McDonald said...

The amazing thing about New York is just when you think you've had enough, you fall in love all over again.

When I moved here I was living in Queens and a month after arriving my roommate told me he was moving to Chicago. I could not afford rent on my own and did not know anyone that could move in with me. And then all of a sudden I met a guy that needed a roomie in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and it all worked out.

New York always pulls through