Saturday, July 29, 2006

Scene 1

So because I have a crippled social life since my big move to the Big Apple, I'm in on a Saturday night. And sense no one is yet discovering and reading my little place in cyberspace I decided to post another story. This was an attempt to write a play, but I liked the scene so much just as itself that I couldnt move past this in fear of fucking it up. I never titled it, its just called Scene 1, so here you go I hope you like it.

Elise lives in a sizable apartment in green point Brooklyn. Its morning and Elise is just waking up. The bedroom should be totally white with a few black and white photos on the walls. The sheets are white. As they move through the apartment the colors of the walls should change to show their emotions.

Elise (waking): I had the most wonderful dream.
Why are you sitting over there?
John is sitting in a chair next to the bed. He’s naked and smoking a cigarette.

John: I’m watching you sleep.
Elise: Why would my lazy body amuse you?
John: Tell me about your dream?
Elise: I didn’t know that snoring French girls turned you on.
John: I’m not turned on.
Elise: We fucked all night, you’re probably just burnt out (laughs).
John (after a pause): I think I’m in love with you.
Elise: I know you are
I need a cigarette.

John {handing her a cigarette}: You don’t love me back?
Elise: You want eggs?
John doesn’t light the cigarette for her. She takes the lighter from him.
Elise: I don’t know if I love you.
John: I think that’s the kind of thing you know or you don’t know.
Elise: we never made love. How can you love me if we’ve never made it?
John: Making love and feeling love are 2 different things.
Elise: The ends justify the means
I’ll go make some eggs. You want salsa on them?

Elise puts on her bra, she’s already wearing underwear. John puts out his cigarette and puts on jeans. Elise is in the kitchen cracking eggs; she puts out her cigarette. The walls of the kitchen are red, the sink in out of place being black.
As she prepares the scrambled eggs john digs in the drawers for something.
John: Don’t you have cigarettes in here?
Elise: They’re in the cookie jar.
John: That’s crafty. What if people want cookies?
Elise: I would consider those a treat
John: I would have to agree with you on that one. I know that they’re bad for you but I couldn’t live without ‘em.
Elise: I quit once, about 5 years ago.
John: oh what happened?
Elise: I had a bad day. [Smiles]
There’s a pause. Elise goes back to the eggs, digging through her fridge looking for random things. John stares at her for a little while.
Elise: I can feel your eyes on me again.
John: I love you.
Elise: I thought we were done with all of this.
John: I don’t see why you can’t love me.
Elise: You expect me to love you. How can you love someone, truly love, if they already expect you to love them?
It’s too much pressure.
John: There’s no pressure here. I want you to be happy.
Elise: Happy in love with you, that how you see me happy.
John: It’s an idea.
Elise: It’s an expectation. And soon you’ll fall out of love with me.
John: I don’t think that’s possible Elly.
Elise: Fuck you. You don’t know what’s possible!
John: Elly, please.[he tries to hold her] just love me?
Elise [pushes him away]: Don’t beg for love. Great things don’t come to beggars.
John: Your heart is in a box Elise.
Elise: Stop saying my name like it’s the name of a god. I’m not god.
John: Goddess. You’re a goddess to me.
Elise: I don’t like being put on a pedestal.
Eat your eggs. I’m out of salsa.


I apologize for the grammatical errors but I honestly just dont feel like editing it again at the moment. But I hope you like it, I've got a big glass of milk waiting for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked that alot, I've been writing alot lately too.