Saturday, July 29, 2006

Today sucks

So today was going okay, nothing too great, nothing too terrible. I woke up and cleaned up a little in the apartmento, trying to forget last night, and doing a pretty good job of it. (Thats a lie).
I went into the city, took a walk down Bleeker St. (my favorite street in the city) went to the Barnes and Noble on Union Sq. and picked up an application.

I went up to the cafe to fill it out and work on le book. I of course fucked it up and put my address from home, not my current residence...for the second time. I took another trip down to Bleeker and checked out the Biography Bookshop, checked out some discount books. I didnt buy, no cash on me.

I took a walk back up 4th avenue on my way to see a movie at random. I bought a small fruit salad and a bottle of water. I made my way back to Union Sq. eating me fruit salad. I shoved my debit card into my pocket along with my phone, the reciept and my trusty pen. And then I continued on with my walking to the theater. As I arrived I dug in my pocket for my card, I was treating myself to a present. I felt it deserved. A sort of goodbye to my vacation here, now its time for business. I looked and it wasnt there, my metro card, my phone, my reciept from the deli, but no debit card.

Now I dont get stressed out about things like this, there are procediures by which to take care of events like this. Worst possible scenario is that I left it on the counter of the deli by mistake, the cashier was nice, she's probably just holding onto it for me.

I decide to call my mom and inform her of the "potential" situation....Bad idea. She about lost it. "Oh my god Jesse! Your money, its gone, someone took all your money." I eventually calm her down and she gives me the 1-800 number of Chase bank, all 3 of them.

I walked back to the deli, the cashier recongnized me.
"Hi," I said, "I feel kind of embarrassed asking this but, did I by chance leave my card here?"
Her face took on a grave look.
"No," she said, "I handed it right to you. I didnt take it."
"I never said you did. I was just wondering if I maybe left it here on accident."
"No," she became sympathetic again,"I'm sorry I didnt see it."

I said thank you and walked away, my optimism fading.

I proceeded to call the various 1-800 numbers and finally found the one I needed. A very kind man named Pete picked up the phone. I explained my situation and he worked his magic. He was very sympathetic to my situation. Plus I was kind of flirting with him, he had a great telephone voice.

It turns out that someone made a charge on my card 20 minutes after my last purchase....at Lowes! A fucking hardware store! How lame is that. But Pete and I were both amazed at the speed by which the illegal purchase was made.

Especially since the nearest Lowes is so far away. Bastard.

On the Q-train I sat, waiting patiently for the damn train to get itself moving. We were forced to sit and wait on the Manhattan Bridge for almost 15 mins, then another 15 mins right before we got to Dekalb Ave. And another 15 before Atlantic Ave. In the time I sat waiting on the train to move I could have made it all the way to Church Ave from Union Sq. Fucking MTA, if only I didnt need it.

But I made serious progress on Le Book. I got the foundation at least. If there are any really great parts I may post.

No comments: